2017 Screening Checklist
- Check for Ban-the Box-laws in your jurisdiction(s) and industry – there are now federal, state, jurisdiction, and industry-specific Ban the Box laws, which can impact businesses even across jurisdictional lines.
- Review all documents for compliance – applications, policies and procedures, consent and disclosure forms, and adverse action notices should all be reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date and include all pertinent screening requirements.
- Retain or destroy records in accordance with regulations – get rid of old data so it doesn’t corrupt new data or violate regulations.
- Review the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and EEOC guidelines – stakeholders should be refreshed on regulations that impact screening and hiring practices at least annually.
- Retrain stakeholders in permissible interview questions – closely related to pre-employment screening, interviewing candidates is a crucial part of the hiring process. However, asking about protected-class information, such as marital status, age, religion, and more, puts companies at risk for legal discrimination complaints.
- Analyze screening and hiring data for any potentially discriminating screening processes – any process that appears to discriminate against applicants based on protected class information could lead to a legal complaint and/or EEOC lawsuit.
- Check your Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure – is applicant and employee information shared across platforms? If so, do your document collection, reporting, retention and disposal policies translate across all instances of personal data?
- Conduct a security audit – vulnerabilities are identified in corporate systems too often to trust that anti-virus scans will catch potential issues. Security audits can identify problems before malicious bugs or hackers infiltrate.
- Run annual re-screens – just because a candidate’s background was clean at hire doesn’t mean it has stayed clean. Conducting post-hire screenings ensures that your employees remain qualified and eligible to perform their jobs.
- Leverage technology
- Most companies use multiple software systems to accomplish business processes, but this can cause delays when data needs to be consolidated across sources. Integration capabilities allow systems to exchange information and streamline analysis. InfoMart provides free integration with any HR-XML compliant ATS or HRIS.
- Completing Form I-9 and eVerify processes online decreases time-to-hire. Integrated screening systems, such as InfoMart’s intuitive and web-based WebASAP, can complete the process and store documents for easy access and auditing.
- You can easily and reliably verify an applicant’s identity remotely with authentication and facial recognition software offered by InfoMart.
- Review global processes or partner with international regulation experts – the EU Safe Harbor Framework was invalidated this year, so companies should check their global screening and data sharing policies to ensure they meet the new EU-U.S. Privacy Shield rules. InfoMart’s experts assist global companies with international compliance of their background screening programs.
About Tammy Cohen
Tammy Cohen, an industry pioneer and expert in identity and employment screening, founded InfoMart 30 years ago. Deemed the “Queen of Screen,” she’s been a force behind industry-leading innovations. She was most recently the first-to-market with a fully compliant sanctions search, as well as a suite of identity services that modernizes talent onboarding. Tammy revolutionized the screening industry when she stepped into the field, developing the first client-facing application and a due diligence criminal search that has since become standard for all background screening companies. Cohen has received national awards and honors for her business and civic involvement, including Atlanta Business Chronicle’s Top 25 Women-Owned Firms in Atlanta, Enterprising Women Magazine’s Enterprising Women of the Year award, the YWCA of Northwest Georgia’s Kathryn Woods Racial Justice Award, and a commendation in the 152nd Congressional Record. To learn more about Tammy, visit www.tammycohen.com.
InfoMart has been revolutionizing the global background and identity screening industry for 30 years, providing businesses the information they need to make informed hiring decisions. They develop innovative technology that modernizes talent onboarding, including a first-to-market biometric identity authentication application and a verified sanctions search. The WBENC-certified company is a founding member of the Professional Background Screening Association, and they have achieved PBSA accreditation in recognition of their consistent business practices and commitment to compliance with the FCRA. The company is dedicated to customer service, speed, and accuracy, and it has been recognized for its success, workplace culture, and corporate citizenship with over 45 industry awards. To Get the Whole Story on InfoMart, please visit www.InfoMart-USA.com, follow @InfoMartUSA, or call (770) 984-2727.