Start your 2017 employment program with a review of InfoMart’s latest Background Screening Checklist:
- Check for Ban the Box laws in your jurisdiction(s) and industry – there are now federal,
state, jurisdiction, and industry-specific Ban the Box laws, which can impact businesses even
across jurisdictional lines.
- Review all documents for compliance – applications, policies and procedures, consent and disclosure forms, and adverse action notices should all be reviewed to ensure they are
up-to-date and include all pertinent screening requirements.
- Retain or destroy records in accordance with regulations – get rid of old data so it doesn’t
corrupt new data or violate regulations.
- Review the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and EEOC guidelines – stakeholders
should be refreshed on regulations that impact screening and hiring practices at least annually.
- Retrain stakeholders in permissible interview questions – closely related to
pre-employment screening, interviewing candidates is a crucial part of the hiring process.
However, asking about protected-class information, such as marital status, age, religion, and
more, puts companies at risk for legal discrimination complaints.
- Analyze screening and hiring data for any potentially discriminating screening
processes – any process that appears to discriminate against applicants based on protected
class information could lead to a legal complaint and/or EEOC lawsuit.
- Check your Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure – is applicant and employee information
shared across platforms? If so, do your document collection, reporting, retention and disposal
policies translate across all instances of personal data?
- Conduct a security audit – vulnerabilities are identified in corporate systems too often to trust
that anti-virus scans will catch potential issues. Security audits can identify problems before
malicious bugs or hackers infiltrate.
- Run annual re-screens – just because a candidate’s background was clean at hire doesn’t
mean it has stayed clean. Conducting post-hire screenings ensures that your employees remain
qualified and eligible to perform their jobs.
- Leverage technology –
- Most companies use multiple software systems to accomplish business processes, but
this can cause delays when data needs to be consolidated across sources. Integration
capabilities allow systems to exchange information and streamline analysis. InfoMart
provides free integration with any HR-XML compliant ATS or HRIS.
- Completing Form I-9 and eVerify processes online decreases time-to-hire. Integrated
screening systems, such as InfoMart’s intuitive and web-based WebASAP, can complete
the process and store documents for easy access and auditing.
- You can easily and reliably verify an applicant’s identity remotely with authentication and
facial recognition software offered by InfoMart.
- Review global processes or partner with international regulation experts – the EU Safe Harbor Framework was invalidated this year, so companies should check their global screening and data sharing policies to ensure they meet the new EU-U.S. Privacy Shield rules. InfoMart’s experts assist global companies with international compliance of their background screening programs.